Collector’s Cards Commemorate 1911 Austin Dam Failure and Flood

Set A of the Austin Flood commemorative collectors’ cards includes, clockwise from upper left: town founder E. O. Austin and wife Julia; Austin Borough’s Main Street before fires and floods; Bayless Pulp and Paper Company Mill north of town; construction of the Austin Dam in 1909; hillside view of the flood’s destruction looking north.

COUDERSPORT – A Potter County publishing company has produced the first in a series of collectors’ cards commemorating the tragic 1911 Austin dam failure and flood. The post card-size collectibles will be released in sets of six. Proceeds will benefit the Austin Dam Memorial Association and the E. O. Austin Historical Society.

Each card features an image depicting Austin history, the building of the Bayless Pulp and Paper Company dam that failed in 1911, and the destruction that ensued. Knox Books came into possession of more than 1,500 images from which to choose and will continue to produce sets of six cards, culminating with images from the 2011 Austin Flood Centennial Observance. Cards are numbered on the back and include a description of each image.

Each card is numbered, with a description of the image depicted on the front. Additional sets will be published later this year.

Anyone purchasing a copy of Knox Books’ latest title, “1911: The Austin Flood,” by Paul W. Heimel, through the company’s website or by mail will receive a set of the collectors’ cards at no additional cost. Cards can also be ordered separately by mail. Send $6.00 per set plus $1.75 shipping and handling to: Collector Cards, Knox Books, 407 Mill St., Coudersport PA 16915. One dollar from each sale will be donated to the Austin Dam Memorial Association and the E. O. Austin Historical Society.

For further details, send an email to orders@knoxbooks.net.


Save pagePDF pageEmail pagePrint page

One Comment

  1. Essie M. says:

    Is there another “Dam” Show and Festival scheduled for the summer of 2012?

Leave a Comment