Coudersport Man Sentenced to Jail for Ramming Vehicle

COUDERSPORT – Dustin Butler, 31, of Coudersport, was sentenced to spend 7 days to 12 months in jail after pleading guilty to simple assault.

Butler was arrested by Coudersport Boro police in June of last year after he rammed his truck into another vehicle.

According to police, the incident began when Butler confronted two people at Carp Park by pounding on their car window. Butler is then accused of following the two victims in his pickup truck, eventually ramming into the back of their vehicle. Witnesses told police a truck matching the description of Butler’s truck left Carp Park driving at least 45 mph. Police said the area was congested with people attending a Relay for Life event at the time.

According to an Affidavit of Probable Cause, Officer William Wenzel was taking a statement at the police station from the victims of the assault when Butler arrived at the police station. According to Officer Wenzel, Butler “jumped out of his vehicle, agitated, swearing and threatening to beat the victim for spraying silly string on his work truck.”

Wenzel stated that he and another officer attempted to calm Butler down, but he became loud and belligerent when a PBT (breathalizer) test was requested. The test revealed that Butler was under the legal limit.

Wenzel stated that he told Butler to leave after taking his information, at which point Butler got into his vehicle and hollered at the victims, “This is why people are being murdered around here.”

As a result of the incident Butler was charged with several misdemeanors, including simple assault, which he eventually pleaded guilty to.

In addition to jail time, Butler was sentenced to participate in anger management classes, ordered to perform 20 hours of community service and have no contact with his victim. He was also ordered to pay a $25 fine for a summary charge of failing to stop and render aid.

The case was  prosecuted by District Attorney Andy Watson. Butler was represented by Walter Stenach. Judge Stephen Minor presided.

Save pagePDF pageEmail pagePrint page

Leave a Comment