Colorado television station exposes gas industry coverup
Before 42-year-old Jose Lara of Rifle died, he recorded a six-hour deposition detailing his work in the natural gas industry.
“If I would have known the damage those tanks would do to me, I would never have cleaned them,” an emotional Lara said through a Spanish translator in front of a camera and room full of attorneys.
Dying from pancreatic and liver cancer, Lara described his job with Rain for Rent, a California-based company with a branch in Rifle.
Lara passed away three months after recording his deposition. OSHA would later cite and fine Rain for Rent with nine violations, six of them serious, for exposing Lara to a cyanide-like gas called hydrogen sulfide. The citation claim the company didn’t properly protect, warn, and educate Lara about what he was being exposed to.