Historic Marker Tells Of Bayless Mill In Austin

From Potter County Today

E.O. Austin Historical Society has placed a new plaque near the site of the ruins of the Bayless Pulp and Paper Mill in Austin. It can be seen from Rt. 872, just north of the borough. The organization plans to place other plaques at historical sites in the Austin area in preparation for the centennial observance of the dam disaster.

Inadequate water flow from Freeman’s Run prompted the owners of the paper mill to build a dam in the valley just north of the plant. As the factory’s production increased, so did its demand for water. The owners decided to build a larger concrete dam just south of the earthen dam to impound more water. On Sept. 30, 1911, the dam gave way, unleashing a wall of water that swept through Austin, killing upwards of 80 people.

Article courtesy of the Potter County Commissioners.


Save pagePDF pageEmail pagePrint page

Leave a Comment